Types of Compensation You Can Recover After a Fort Pierce Car Accident

Car accidents in and around the Fort Pierce area are common. It seems like accidents occur almost every day. If you are involved in a car accident, you may not know what steps to take to pursue compensation for the damages or injuries you sustained.

Contact a Fort Pierce car accident lawyer to better understand your rights in these situations. A legal professional can review the facts of your case and help you take the right steps to recover the compensation you are entitled to.

You can also learn more about the types of damages you may be entitled to after a Fort Pierce car accident here.

Understanding Florida’s No-Fault Insurance Laws 

Florida is one of the 12 no-fault car insurance states in the U.S. If you are involved in an auto accident, you must file a claim with your insurer. Your required PIP (personal injury protection) insurance coverage will pay for your medical expenses and lost wages, no matter who is considered at fault.

Florida drivers must have the following coverage:

  • $10,000 in PIP coverage
  • $10,000 in PDL coverage (property damage liability)

Even though this may seem like a lot of coverage, it will go quickly if you suffer a serious injury. For example, some hospitals charge over $5,000 for a CT scan. Your PIP coverage will pay for up to 80% of medical costs and 60% of your lost wages, up to the maximum of $10,000.

The property damage coverage pays for any damages that the at-fault driver causes to another person’s property. Due to the technology found in today’s vehicles, this $10,000 doesn’t go very far.

Because of this, you may need to file another claim or lawsuit against a third-party insurance provider to cover the result of your medical bills. You may also have to turn to your collision coverage provided by your auto insurance policy if the damages exceed the limits of the at-fault driver’s policy.

Understanding Comparative Fault in Florida

Florida also uses comparative fault to determine negligence for insurance claims or lawsuits. This means that several parties often share the responsibility for an auto accident. A driver who is not at fault for an accident may be found 40% at fault and the other driver 60% at fault.

In this situation, the victim in the accident would only receive 60% of the damages that the court awards. Working with a Fort Pierce car accident lawyer can maximize the amount you receive. They will be able to apply the laws to your case to ensure you receive the compensation you are entitled to.

Don’t Wait to Hire a Fort Pierce Car Accident Lawyer

If you are involved in a car accident in Florida, understanding the legal process can be daunting. It’s wise to work with a Fort Pierce car accident lawyer who can help provide you with help and guidance throughout the legal process. Being informed is the best way to get the full amount of compensation you are entitled to after a Florida car accident.

Next Post

How To Process Garnishments

Sun Nov 6 , 2022
Nani Palkhivala, an eminent tax lawyer from Mumbai, was Salve’s inspiration. For Congress to ignore the specific words of the constitution itself and substitute its own judgments would be for Congress to do what it is accusing the president of doing. Those who owe federal debts, including taxes to the […]

You May Like